Who knew that there was so much competition to be the best of the mini chocolate chip muffin recipes? Well, there is. And, here it is.
About Small-Batch Mini Muffins
We often make muffins on the weekends as a special treat for our kids. Our kids are young, so patience is a muscle that they are still developing. For this reason, we love making mini muffins. They take about 10 minutes to whip up and 10 minutes to bake – just about the attention span of a 4 to 7 year old for an elaborate imaginary game involving magnatiles. Those extra 10-15 minutes to bake off a regular sized muffin just don’t work for us.
This is one of our favorites small batch recipes, making enough for two little boys and one adult (or two fully grown adults). If you’re baking for a crowd (or if you want to have some left over for snack time), you could multiply the recipe by four and bake it off in a regular muffin tin.
These mini chocolate chip muffins are a house favorite and are the most frequently requested of our weekend baking rotations. They have a crispy muffin top (everyone’s favorite part of a muffin!) and are fluffy inside. It’s also a very easy recipe, and a good muffin to bake with kids. Little hands can be put to work on measuring dry ingredients and stirring. They may occasionally steal some chocolate chips, but that seems like a reasonable price to pay for some kitchen assistance.
- Yield: 12 mini muffins
- Active Time: 10 minutes
- Bake Time: 5-10 minutes
Ingredients for the Best of the Mini Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 large egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini size chocolate chips (in a pinch you can use regular chocolate chips)
Directions for the Best of the Mini Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Generously spray the 12 muffin cups of your mini muffin pan with Pam or some other non-stick cooking spray, or line with paper liners. If you hate sprays and liners, you can also invest in a silicone mini muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter (or oil), sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then fold in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix the muffin batter, or you will end up with large air bubbles, making the muffins dry.
- Spoon batter into the 12 muffin cups. You can add a sprinkle of coarse sugar before baking, for a sparkly look.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown or when a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out dry.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes on a wire rack. These mini chocolate muffins are best enjoyed warm and fresh out the oven. If you didn’t dust with coarse sugar before baking, you can dust the tops of your muffins some confectioner’s sugar.
This recipe can be used for regular sized muffins by simply quadrupling it. It will then yield a dozen regular muffins.
If you have some leftover bananas lying around, you can turn these into banana chocolate chip muffins by simply mashing a banana in.
Affiliate Disclosure: As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you click on links embedded in this post.