Can’t pick between a brownie and a cookie? We understand; that happens to us, too. This recipe combines them both into delicious brownie mix chocolate chip cookies.
About this Recipe
This recipe takes a homemade brownie recipe and dollops it into chocolate chip cookies. This makes a brownie more convenient (less crummy fingers) and more transportable (lunchtime brownie, anyone?). Hooray! These brownie mix chocolate chip cookies combine the best thing about brownies (fudgy center) with the best thing about cookies (crispy edge). We like to fold chocolate chips into the brownies, for some extra chocolate flavor, but you could equally sub in a range of different flavors — butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips, if that’s your taste. We often eat these cookies plain, which emphasizes their deep dark chocolatey-ness.
These cookies are a favorite any time of the year: They are fun to dip in white chocolate and sprinkle with some fun seasonal sprinkles (see our halloween themed ones above!). Or, in the summer, they make an excellent base for an ice cream sandwich. Regardless of the season, these favorite desserts are always best served with a cold glass of milk
This quick dessert comes together easily without any kind of hand mixer or stand mixer. These win the prize for best cookies to make on vacation (are we the only people who get irrationally angry at understocked vacation rental kitchens?). Looking for another vacation friendly dessert? Check out our chocolate crinkle sprinkle cookies.
Looking for more Halloween dessert ideas? Check these out:
- Yield: 18 cookies
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for the Brownie Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
For the Brownie Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or peanut/butterscotch chip)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or candy melts
Instructions for the Brownie Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate over low heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). Stir until a thick dough forms.
- Set aside until the batter cools to room temperature. If you’re in a hurry, spread on a rimmed baking sheet and stick in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop batter by tablespoons onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until just set.
- Cool several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, heat the white chocolate in the microwave in 5 second bursts until fully melted.
- Dip half of each of the brownie cookies in the white chocolate, then top with sprinkles and let dry on a piece of cooling rack.
- The best part about these cookies is that they keep very well in an airtight container for up to a week.
Affiliate Disclosure: As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you click on links embedded in this post.