What’s better than a chocolate brownie? This triple chocolate brownies recipe. It’s got all the goodness of a chocolate brownie x 3 and is chocolate lovers dream.
A Short History of Brownies
You probably didn’t know this, but brownies aren’t technically a cake. Horrifying, right? They’re a finger food — they were made to be eaten with your hands, not a fork!
Unconfirmed urban legend tells us that brownies may have come about when a Boston housewife forgot to add baking powder to her chocolate cake. Rather than throw away the dense chocolate cake, she served it as a finger food.
Palmer House has also laid claim to Brownies, claiming that Bertha Palmer commissioned them from the hotel’s chef. She wanted a sweet finger food for her lady friends to bring with them in their picnic lunches at the 1893 Columbia Exhibition.
A brownie recipe first appeared in printed form in Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Boston Cooking School Cook Book. Both Fannie Farmer and Bertha Palmer’s recipes rely on chocolate melted with butter, for a dense, fudgy texture. Our recipe today uses a cocoa base, resulting in a (slightly) lighter brownie texture, all the better to offset the three kinds of chocolate chips folded therein.
What Do You Mean, Triple Chocolate?
Yep, you read that right! And, technically if you include the cocoa powder, it’s quadruple chocolate! We included not one, not two, but three kinds of chocolate chips here for some absurdly chocolately goodness in these homemade brownies. This easy recipe produces fudgy brownies with moist crumbs, studded with three kinds of chocolate chips.
More Quick and Easy Desserts
Looking for more quick and easy desserts? Check these guys out!
Useful Tools to Make This Triple Chocolate Brownies Recipe
Triple Chocolate Brownies
- 8 x 8 inch square pan
- parchment paper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or bittersweet chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and line an 8 x 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave, or in a medium saucepan on the stove on low heat until just melted. Let cool slightly.
- Pour the butter into a mixing bowl, then use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon to stir in sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs.
- Sift the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) into the butter-sugar-cocoa-egg mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold the three kinds of chocolate chips into the brownie mixture, then pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place in preheated oven on center oven rack and bake for 30 minutes. The brownies are done as soon as they start pulling away from the sides of pan.
- Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator in order to slice neatly.
Affiliate Disclosure: As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you click on links embedded in this post.