This chocolate butter cookie recipe is the logical next step once you’ve mastered Italian butter cookies. How can you improve on their crumbly, buttery deliciousness? Add some chocolate, obviously!
A Short History of Chocolate Butter Cookies
The origins of these crispy, buttery, chocolatey cookies are completely unknown. At some point, some genius must have added some cocoa powder to a traditional Italian butter cookie. The beauty of these cookies is that they do not use cookie cutters. They get their decorative flair (perfect for special occasions!) from a quick trip through a star-shaped piping tip or a cookie press. Add the biggest chocolate chip on top, and presto!
Need a different cookie every day? We’re here to help you out!
Useful Tools For Making This Chocolate Butter Cookie Recipe
Double Chocolate Butter Cookies
- stand mixer
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- silicone baking mat
- disposable piping bag
- 1/2 inch star tip
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60-70 large milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter with the powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt) into the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Place a star tip in a disposable piping bag. Use a rubber spatula to scoop the cookie dough into the bag.
- Hold the piping bag perpendicularly about a half inch off the prepared baking sheet and press to pipe a star shape. Top with a chocolate chip.
- If the dough is too stiff to pipe, put back in the mixer and add 1 tsp milk at a time until the dough reaches a pipe-able consistency.
- Chill piped cookie dough for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Bake 15-17 minutes until just set.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the sheet, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Affiliate Disclosure: As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you click on links embedded in this post.
1 thought on “Double Chocolate Butter Cookies”
Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It will always be helpful to read content from other authors and use something from other web sites.
Comments are closed.