There isn’t much of a secret to this chocolate chip waffles recipe. Simply combine our favorite classic buttermilk waffles recipe with chocolate chips for the perfect fluffy waffles studded with melty chocolate chips. This is an all-time favorite breakfast in our house.
A Short History of Chocolate Chips
In modern baking, we sometimes take chocolate chips for granted. Would our cookies (or our waffles in this case) be nearly as delicious without them? Certainly not. The name “chocolate chip” was first applied to chocolate shortbread cookies, which were cut into thin squares. The first known recipe was printed in 1894. The cookies were presumably called chocolate chips due to their resemblance to wood chips.
Right around the same time, a candy known as a chocolate chip started to appear in newspaper advertisements. It consisted in thin, oblong pieces of molasses candy coated in chocolate (again, likely called chocolate chips due to its resemblance to wood chips). The candies were so popular that the term “chocolate chip” was the subject of a copyright infringement case heard by the Supreme Court in 1897.
Chocolate chips remained primarily a candy for the next 40 years, until Ruth Wakefield of the Tollhouse Inn invented what we know of today as the chocolate chip cookie. Originally called the “chocolate crunch cookie,” the recipe was printed on the back of Nestle chocolate bars that were sold with a special cutter, so that bakers could make their own chips. In the 1940s, Nestle began selling chocolate chips as we know them today (in a teardrop shape, with a flat bottom), referring to them as “chocolate morsels.”
Looking for more ideas for homemade waffles? Check these out!
Useful Tools for Making this Chocolate Chip Waffle Recipe
You’ll definitely need a Belgian waffle maker for this recipe. In the market for a new one? Check out our analysis of the Top 7 Criteria to Consider in Buying an Eco-Friendly Waffle Maker. To spare you the extra reading, here were the winners:
Serving Suggestions for this Chocolate Chip Waffle Recipe
This recipe makes for a very sweet breakfast, so you can hold the maple syrup if you’re eating it in the morning. If you’re having it for dessert, consider topping with whipped cream, sprinkling with extra chocolate chips, or serving with a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate sauce on top.
Best Chocolate Chip Waffle Recipe
- Waffle Iron
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips we live with chocoholics, so use regular sized chocolate chips but a more restrained person might use mini chocolate chips here
- Fire up your waffle iron.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir the flour mixture together.
- Add the wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract) into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray the preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour one cup of batter into the hot waffle iron. Cook according to the waffle maker’s directions until golden brown and perfectly crispy. Avoid soggy waffles by consuming immediately.
Affiliate Disclosure: As Amazon Associates, we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you click on links embedded in this post.